Teton Sioux chief, Sitting Bull arrived in Canada in 1876, after defeating General Custer at the Battle of the Little Big Horn in the United States. By the spring of 1878, the number of Teton Sioux in Canada had peaked at around 5000, many of them camping in Wood Mountain near the trading post of Jean-Louis Légaré. By 1880, when the community relocated to Willow Bunch, the size of the camp was approximately 485.
"On April 26, 1881, despite Sitting Bull's opposition, Légaré took sixteen people to Fort Buford, but four of these were "witnesses" who returned with Légaré to report as to how their people were treated. Sitting Bull's band was down to 387 people."
While Sitting Bull was in Fort Qu'Appelle, Saskatchewan, trying to convince the Canadian authorities to grant him a reserve, Légaré took a second group to Fort Buford, this time 32 people, including Sitting Bull's eldest daughter and 3 witnesses who returned with Légaré.
The third and final trip occurred on July 11, 1881, when Légaré, along with eight Metis guides/interpreters, took 189 Teton Sioux to Fort Buford, North Dakota, including the famous chief Sitting Bull.
Willow Bunch Golf Course Hole 7
It is believed that Sitting Bull was camped near Légaré's trading post, on what is now Hole 7 of the Willow Bunch Golf Course. It is from here that the famous journey would have begun.
Source: Papandrea, Ron. "They Never Surrendered :
The Teton Sioux Band that Stayed in Canada." 16th Annual Symposium.
Hardin, Montana: Custer Battlefield Historical & Museum Association Inc., 2002.
© 2014 Town & RM of Willowbunch -- Web Design by M.R. Website Development Studio